Monday, July 13, 2009

Asia Dog



The Brooklyn Flea has proven itself as my food heaven this year. Give me the Red Hook ball field vendors without the commute to Red Hook, pizza from a wood fired oven, my favorite McClure pickles, Salvatore ricotta... and on and on. It's drastically better then the selection it gave last year of only one major vendor "Choice" which I secretly hate, but more on that later. Recently I tried "Asia Dog" a classic hot dog and burger joint with (what will be obviously stated) an Asian twist. So let me go ahead and say it... good idea not that great in flavor. It needs a lot of work. The strengths are the toppings but the weaknesses are in the basics. Instead of a hot dog which seems lack luster I would use a sausage,and I would put a lot more love into those bulgogi burgers which needed a lot more flavor. The bun is the most crucial element in this hot dog or burger equation. The bun they use is the standard white bun you buy in the store. Problem is they end up getting soggy before you even take a bite. Please Please Please do me a favor and spend the extra 20 cents and get a good bun. Brioche, potato, or something of that nature. Grill it, put my meat in it and dish it out. Asia dog you got a good idea going on I'm just not quite sold!

No comments: