Friday, August 24, 2007

Too Rich for My Blood


I am accustomed to nice things, but these nice things often have to be at a bargain for me to fully enjoy them. Okay let me explain. I ate at Chez Panisse blah blah blah, point is I had this pear cider at $6.50 a glass. Nice price for something that I found to be very tasty. We came back to Brooklyn and found the same exact wine (or cider I should say) for $15 a bottle, even better. I'm addicted to this stuff which is something that commonly happens with things that I really like. I become a cult leader asking all to join the wagon for what I will always profess as "the best thing I've ever had". So I went to Marlow and Sons and was very excited to see that once again my pear cider that I so lovingly adore was once again on the menu. The catch, it was a whopping $9 a glass, a little flat, and served to me in a champagne glass. Now I know I might sound like an ultimate cheapskate and snob, but come on. Had I never tasted this cider before I might have liked it but not have been as vowed. I beg to ask then why at a much cheaper price am I having this cider served to me the way it should be. What was I paying the the extra $2.50 a glass for? The ambiance? The prestige? Word to the wise, BEWARE! If you want to try this tasty morsel of a cider(and I most certainly suggest you do) go to UVA and pick up a bottle, serve it super chilled and in a white wine glass.

1 comment:

misiak said...

ahh... the blog you hoped i'd never find.

you? a cheapskate? i can't believe you're venturing into my turf! i don't know another person who RELISHES being robbed more than you!! who enjoys having their hard earned money swindled from them more than you!! i could have sworn that the more you are charged for something the more you enjoy it.

come to me if you need tips.
you see - you've actually stumbled upon an epiphany without even knowing about it. let me put it this way - you were upset about the $9.00 flute of flat cider - because you KNEW it cost $6.50 elsewhere. the whole world is trying to sell you $9.00 cider.